Houston 18 Wheeler Crash Attorney
In 2013, there were over 65,000 serious injury crashes in Texas, with over 200,000 people injured. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reported in 2012 over 3,800 people were killed in accidents with large trucks; this is an increase from 2011. Accidents with garbage trucks, 18 wheelers, and commercial vehicles have the potential to cause serious damage to the passenger cars they hit.
Causes of Houston 18 wheeler or truck accidents
18 wheelers and large trucks take considerably longer to stop than other vehicles. At 55 miles per hour, it takes an 18 wheeler the length of two football fields to stop. What’s concerning is these trucks haul dangerous substances – everything from poisonous gas to heavy steel. Often, the cargo they haul makes them even more dangerous, so driver safety is key when operating an 18 wheeler. There are several factors that can contribute to a truck accident, including:
- Failure to account for road conditions, such as traffic, curves in the road, or wet weather.
- Speeding or reckless driving.
- Drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs.
- Drivers who are sleep deprived. 18 wheeler drivers may stay awake too long on the road trying to make their next delivery.
- Trucking company owners who fail to properly train drivers.
- Failure to properly maintain and inspect the truck.
- Failing to secure the load.
An attorney must conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident, the history of the driver, and the operator to succeed in an 18 wheeler case. The correct information regarding the truck and the incident must be obtained. Gathering evidence and doing so quickly can make a significant difference in a case involving an 18 wheeler. Hire Clark Martin, an experienced Houston truck accident attorney, to help.
Houston truck accidents can cause serious injuries
An 80,000 lb. big rig weighs 20 to 30 times more than a car. When the two collide, the car and its passengers will likely sustain serious injuries. Truck and 18 wheeler accidents can cause serious injuries, including:
- Broken legs, arms, and other broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Burns, cuts, and lacerations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish
All of these injuries can cause lost time from work, medical bills, hospital bills, and co-pays. Surgery may be required, and victims may need care for the rest of their lives.
Hire a Houston 18 Wheeler Crash Attorney
When truck drivers and their employers cause injuries on the road, The Martin Law Firm is here to help. Clark Martin has spent years working to hold drivers and trucking companies responsible for the harm they cause. Mr. Martin has the experience, knowledge, and resources to conduct a thorough accident investigation and explain your legal rights. Contact The Martin Law Firm for your free 18 wheeler crash consultation today.