Houston Deceptive Trade Practices Act Attorney
Texas law is designed to protect consumers from false or misleading advertising. The Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) prohibits businesses and salespersons from using false statements, duress, exaggerations, or misleading advertisements to get your business.
The DTPA is designed to protect consumers from fraudulent and misleading sales tactics. If a business has made material misrepresentations regarding the goods or services it provides, and if you have been harmed as a result, the business may be obligated to compensate you for the harm it caused. The DTPA also protects consumers from insurance practices such as breaches of warranty and unconscionable actions.
The DTPA also requires the business to pay your attorney fees. This means if you prevail, the business that did you wrong will pay for your lawyer. The Martin Law Firm is a Houston Deceptive Trade Practices Act law firm protecting Houston consumers.
What does the DTPA cover?
The Act is broad. It covers many different situations, including:
- Taking advantage of Spanish speakers or those who do not read well
- Using false or misleading advertisements
- Exaggerating the benefits of a product
- Selling a used product as a new one
- Lying about needed repairs
- Making false claims about a competitor
- Charging outrageous prices for goods after an emergency, natural disaster or catastrophe. For example charging five times the normal price for water or generators after a hurricane.
If you have been lied to by a business, you should talk with a lawyer who can help protect your interests.
Contact a Houston Deceptive Trade Practices Act attorney
Case law interpreting the DTPA is vast and ever changing. The best way to protect your rights is to contact an experienced Houston Deceptive Trade Practices Act attorney, The Martin Law Firm if you have been taken advantage of by a local business.